In November, leaders of state-wide organizations and advocates addressing issues of concern to women of Maryland participated in a conference to identify potential legislative initiatives for the 2022 Maryland General Assembly. Fifteen bills were presented at the conference for consideration. A ballot was sent to MLAW members who voted on the top priorities which will make up our official 2022 Legislative Agenda. The MLAW Board of Directors reviewed the results of the balloting and affirmed the bills that will comprise the 2022 MLAW Legislative Agenda. The issues selected are listed below and described here:
Click here to download the 2022 Agenda document:
The eight bills selected are:
- SB___/HB___ – Abortion Care Access Act of 2022
- SB33/HB153 – Criminal Law – Sexual Crimes – Repeal of Spousal Defense
- SB275/HB8—Labor and Employment – Family and Medical Leave Insurance Program – Establishment (Time to Care Act of 2022)
- HB626/SB___ – Pregnant Person’s Freedom Act of 2022
- HB833/SB___ – Criminal Law – Victims of Child Sex Trafficking – Safe Harbor and Service Response
- SB328/HB148 – Criminal Law – Stalking – Definition
- SB280/HB296 – Interim and Temporary Protective Order – Electronic Filing and Video Conferencing Hearings
- HB454/SB___ – Correctional Services – Pregnancy and Postpartum Support (Prevention of Forced Infant Separation Act)
One of the most powerful advocacy tools for the Agenda is your signature as a supporter. Organizations and individuals are invited to sign on as a supporter of the 2022 Agenda. We also encourage you to invite your friends and colleagues to sign on. A list of supporters will be attached to the document before it is distributed to legislators and the public, as well as included on our website. The document will be released at our Legislative Briefing and will be distributed to all legislators. Cooperative action is the basis upon which MLAW operates. One voice is important but the collective voices of many impacts public policy and enables advocates and legislators to demonstrate concern and support for women’s issues. Make your voice count for women and their families in the 2022 session of the Maryland General Assembly. To add your name to the list of supporters, complete this simple online form. If you would like to add multiple names of friends or colleagues who give you permission to add their names, please email them as well. Spread the word and ask others to support this agenda. You do not need to be a member of MLAW to add your name.
Finally, make sure to attend our Legislative Briefing on Thursday, February 3rd. We will official unveil the 2022 Agenda at the briefing. For registration information or sponsorship opportunities, click here. Thank you for your support. We look forward to receiving your signature of support for the 2022 Agenda by 1/27/2022.