Also, many thanks to our fantastic co-sponsors who supported this event!
MLAW thanks the following organizations for co-sponsoring our upcoming Legislative Briefing:
- AAUW – Anne Arundel County Branch
- AAUW Bethesda-Chevy Chase Chapter
- AAUW Maryland
- Baltimore County Commission for Women
- Business and Professional Women of Maryland
- Calvert County Commission for Women
- DABS, llc
- Debra Nixon, President NC100BW-PGC
- Delegate Heather Bagnall
- Delegate J. Sandy Bartlett
- Erin Prangley
- Fort Washington Alumnae Chapter Delta Sigma Theta Sorority Inc.
- Friends for Denise Mitchell
- Health Care for All/Maryland Citizens’ Health Initiative
- Human Capital Focus, LLC (Dr. Rhonda Jones)
- League of Women Voters Howard County
- Linda Mahoney
- Maryland Coalition Against Sexual Assault (MCASA)
- Maryland Network Against Domestic Violence
- Maryland NOW
- Montgomery County Commission for Women
- NARAL Pro-Choice Maryland
- National Council of 100 Black Women – Prince George’s County Chapter
- North Arundel County Alumnae Chapter (NACAC) of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Incorporated
- Prince George’s County Alumnae Chapter, Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc.
- Stella’s Girls, Inc.
- Teresa S. Woorman
- The Hatcher Group
- Top Ladies of Distinction – Prince George’s County Chapter
- Women’s Law Center of Maryland
- Zonta Club of Annapolis
Would you like to co-sponsor the briefing? Click here to sign up!
Last week we selected the bills which will make up our 2021 Legislative Agenda. On January 28th, we invite you to join us at our virtual Legislative Briefing as we officially announce our 2021 Agenda.
Join us to hear from legislators and advocates who will present each of the bills on the Agenda and explain how they will impact Maryland women and families. You will hear what you can do to help pass these bills and become involved in the legislative process. Your voice in Annapolis is needed!
This year’s briefing will be virtual and hosted on Zoom. There is no charge to attend the briefing, but you must register in order to receive the link to the briefing.
We invite you or your organization to co-sponsoring the briefing. Your sponsorship supports our legislative efforts in Annapolis. Sponsorship includes your logo displayed in the published Agenda and on our website and Facebook page, and recognition during the online briefing. Click here to co-sponsor.
Finally, we remind you to add your name to the list of supporters of the 2021 Agenda. One voice is important but the collective voices of many impacts public policy and enables advocates and legislators to demonstrate concern and support for women’s issues. To sign on as a supporter, complete this simple online form.
One of the most powerful advocacy tools for the Agenda is your signature as a supporter. Organizations and individuals are invited to sign on as a supporter of the 2021 Agenda. We also encourage you to invite your friends and colleagues to sign on. A list of supporters will be attached to the document before it is distributed to legislators and the public, as well as included on our website. The document will be released at our Legislative Briefing and will be distributed to all legislators.
Cooperative action is the basis upon which MLAW operates. One voice is important but the collective voices of many impacts public policy and enables advocates and legislators to demonstrate concern and support for women’s issues. Make your voice count for women and their families in the 2021 session of the Maryland General Assembly.
To add your name to the list of supporters, complete this simple online form. If you would like to add multiple names of friends or colleagues who give you permission to add their names, please email them as well. Spread the word and ask others to support this agenda. You do not need to be a member of MLAW to add your name.
In November, leaders of state-wide organizations and advocates addressing issues of concern to women of Maryland participated in a conference to identify potential legislative initiatives for the 2021 Maryland General Assembly. Fourteen bills were presented at the conference for consideration. A ballot was sent to MLAW members who voted on the top priorities which will make up our official 2021 Legislative Agenda.
The MLAW Board of Directors reviewed the results of the balloting and affirmed the bills that will comprise the 2021 MLAW Legislative Agenda. The issues selected are listed below and described in more detail on our website.
The seven bills are:
- Family Law – Custody and Visitation (Best Interest of the Child Factors When there is Child Abuse or Domestic Violence)
- Criminal Law – First Degree Child Abuse – Continuing Course of Child Abuse
- Criminal Law – Repeal of Spousal Defense (Love is No Defense to Sexual Crimes)
- Public Schools – Provision of Menstrual Hygiene Products – Requirement
- Maryland Health Equity Resource Act
- Labor and Employment – Family and Medical Leave Insurance Program – Establishment (Time to Care Act)
- Maryland Essential Worker Protection Act