In November, leaders of state-wide organizations and advocates addressing issues of concern to women of Maryland participated in a conference to identify potential legislative initiatives for the 2021 Maryland General Assembly. Fourteen bills were presented at the conference for consideration. A ballot was sent to MLAW members who voted on the top priorities which will make up our official 2021 Legislative Agenda.
The MLAW Board of Directors reviewed the results of the balloting and affirmed the bills that will comprise the 2021 MLAW Legislative Agenda. The issues selected are listed below and described in more detail on our website.
The seven bills are:
- Family Law – Custody and Visitation (Best Interest of the Child Factors When there is Child Abuse or Domestic Violence)
- Criminal Law – First Degree Child Abuse – Continuing Course of Child Abuse
- Criminal Law – Repeal of Spousal Defense (Love is No Defense to Sexual Crimes)
- Public Schools – Provision of Menstrual Hygiene Products – Requirement
- Maryland Health Equity Resource Act
- Labor and Employment – Family and Medical Leave Insurance Program – Establishment (Time to Care Act)
- Maryland Essential Worker Protection Act